How Does Time Warner Cable® Collect and Use Information About You
Absent your consent or request, Time Warner Cable® does not divulge personally identifiable information to third parties for their marketing or advertising purposes.
When you visit the Platform, it is important that we can present our content in a way that makes sense to your screen, that we are able to conduct research, that we know which pages and activity on the Platform are most popular and, in some cases, that compensation can be determined between us and our content and advertising partners. In order to do these types of things, we may collect data such as:
- The type of browser you use (e.g., Firefox, Internet Explorer, etc.);
- The type and version of operating system you use (e.g., Apple Mac OS X, Windows XP, mobile Android or Apple OS, etc.);
- The domain name of your Internet Service Provider (e.g., Time Warner Cable’s® Broadband Internet Service);
- Your Internet Protocol address;
- The referring page that linked you to us, the pages you visit on this Platform; the web page you visit after this Platform;
- The content and advertisements that you view and/or click on;
- Any search terms you enter on this Platform or a referral Platform;
If you are accessing this Platform from a portable device, the device may provide this Platform with your location, we will collect that information on pages where your location helps authenticate you or determine the page content. To the extent this information is stored; it will be stored only in anonymous or aggregate format.
In delivering a video service on the Platform, we may also track information about your use of the Platform in a non-personally identifiable manner and we may combine this information with other non-personally identifiable information. None of this data will be used to personally identify you.
To provide the WiFi Finder Application and WiFi Service to you, we and our partners and licensors may need to collect data about you, including your Time Warner Cable® email address and password, the configuration of your WiFi-enabled device and the unique device identifier (“Device ID”) associated with your device (such as a serial number and/or MAC address). We also may collect usage data relating to your use of the WiFi Finder and WiFi Service, which data will be collected in the aggregate and linked only to your Device ID.
Collection, including the Use of Location Data
If you choose to enable location services on your device, the WiFi Finder Application may collect your device’s location for the WiFi Finder feature and other purposes. Location information is stored by Time Warner Cable® in an anonymous, aggregate way that does not identify you personally. The WiFi Finder is used to find the closest WiFi hot spots to your location and to provide you with turn-by-turn directions to these hot spots. We may also use location information for other purposes such as deciding where to install new WiFi hot spots in order to serve you better. If you do not want this application to collect your device’s location, you can disable location services on your device using the device settings. Please note that location data will be collected when your location service is enabled for this app whether or not the WiFi Finder service is being used at the time.From time-to-time, this Platform may offer features that will require us to collect information about you in order for the features to work in an optimum way. These features can include the registration or subscription to newsletters, accounts or features on this Platform, the making of online purchases, entering sweepstakes and contests, completing surveys, contributing to a chat room, message board, blog, or other similar open forum on this Platform, the submission of comments or question to us using a "contact us" or similar feature on this Platform, the sending to Time Warner Cable® of e-mail, or in any other way submitting personally identifiable information to us via or relating to this Platform. If you do not take advantage of these opportunities, we will not collect information from you to support these options.
To the extent you provide us with information about you, we may use this information for internal purposes related to any Time Warner Cable® service or product and to send you notices (for example, in the form of e-mails, mailings, and the like), and otherwise correspond with you, about products, services, companies and events, sponsored by us and others, that we think might interest you.
Time Warner Cable® websites (other than this Platform), as well as any other third party content, websites, advertisements, applications and toolbars linked to from this Platform, may each have their own privacy policies and practices. Time Warner Cable® is not responsible for the information practices of third parties. You should carefully review their privacy policies in order to determine how each third party may use any personally identifiable information you provide.
Some of the information described above is collected or maintained through "cookies," which are small data files that are sent to your browser or related software from a web server and stored on your computer's hard drive. Most Web browsers can be set to inform you when a cookie has been sent to you and provide you with the opportunity to refuse that cookie. Additionally, if you have a Flash player installed on your computer, your Flash player can be set to reject or delete Flash cookies (technically known as Flash "local shared objects"). However, refusing a cookie may, in some cases, preclude you from using, or negatively impact the display or function of, the Platform or certain areas or features.
Content on this Platform, including advertisements, may be recommended to you or customized to your interests and preferences, based on your personally identifiable information and web Platform usage information, including (but not limited to) non-personally identifying information, which we may obtain from you or from other sources.
Any or all of the activities and collection described above may be performed on our behalf by our services providers.
Does Time Warner Cable® Ever Share Information with Other Parties?
- If you express a desire for us to do so, we may share your personally identifiable information with third parties (such as co-sponsors of our sweepstakes, contests and other offerings) pursuant to the service that you desire.
- Time Warner Cable® may share your information with its affiliates, service providers and other third parties that help to operate our business and this Platform and deliver the products and services available on or through the Platform.
- When you contribute to a "public" area or feature of this Platform, such as a chat room, bulletin board, blog or other open forum that we may make available on or through this Platform, the information that you submit will be made available to other users. For this reason, we recommend that you not submit any sensitive information on these areas of the Platform, including your full name, home address, phone number, financial information, or other information that would enable users to locate you.
- Time Warner Cable® provides your information to trusted vendors who work on behalf of or with Time Warner Cable® and under confidentiality agreements. However, these companies do not have any independent right to share this information.
- When Time Warner Cable® believes it should, it will respond to subpoenas, court orders, legal process, and to establish or exercise Time Warner Cable's® legal rights or defend against legal claims.
- In the event that Time Warner Cable®, or any affiliated entity, or substantially all of its assets related to a particular geographical region, are acquired by one or more third parties as a result of an acquisition, merger, sale, reorganization, consolidation or liquidation, user information may be one of the transferred assets.
Aggregate data and information that otherwise is not personally identifiable to you may be disclosed to others.
Time Warner Cable® will take steps to protect the security and integrity of all sensitive information provided to this Platform. However, due to the inherent nature of the Internet as an open global communications vehicle, we cannot guarantee that information, during transmission through the Internet or while stored on our system or otherwise in our care, will be safe from intrusion by others, such as hackers.
You are responsible for maintaining the strict confidentiality of your account password, and you shall be responsible for any access to or use of the Platform by you or any person or entity using your password, whether or not such access or use has been authorized by or on behalf of you.
We may change this Policy by amending the on-line version. If you continue to use this Platform following any change in our Policy, you will have accepted the changes. If you do not agree to the changes, you should not use this Platform. Any changes to this Notice are intended to be prospective only.