Spectrum TV Android users effective date: August 31, 2017
Spectrum TV iOS users effective date: September 26, 2017
Please note that use of the App is limited to existing Charter subscribers. For additional information on registering for Charter services, please visit www.charter.com. Existing Charter subscribers can access their Charter service accounts by visiting www.spectrum.net.
We ask that you read this Policy from time to time. Charter may modify this Policy at any time in its sole discretion. If we make material changes to this Policy that increase our rights to use personal information we have previously collected about you, we will provide you with notice and choice options.
COLLECTION OF INFORMATION
We collect certain information that you provide to us through your use of the App and its various features, services and software. The information collected about you may also be linked with information about your Charter service account.
Information Provided by You
We collect information you provide to us through the App including, but not limited to:
- Username and password associated with your Charter service account;
- Contact information (e.g., name, address, email address, and phone number);
- Information about orders you place or downloads you make through the App; and
- Settings within the App, such as favorites, content you like, communication preferences or parental controls.
Information We Collect Automatically
We may automatically collect information about the devices you use to access the App or our services and the content you view. The information we may automatically collect depends on how you access the services and content and includes, but is not limited to:
- Information related to the use and operation of the App;
- Device information (e.g., device identifier, advertising identifier, MAC address, carrier, operating system, ISP, IP address);
- Usage data associated with how you interact with the App, such as programming and viewership data and features used;
- Configuration data for any WiFi-enabled device you may use to access the App;
- Information related to your WiFi and cellular connections (e.g., data usage, network performance, signal strength, throughput, latency); and
- Location information, including precise geolocation information, such as your service address and the location of a device in which you have installed the App.
When you first visit or use the App we may request permission to collect and use your device’s precise geolocation. You can opt not to permit the collection of this information, but it may limit certain functions or features of the App. You can control how and whether we collect your location information through your device’s settings. The Charter App does not collect personal information about your online activities over time and across third party websites or online services. Therefore, “do not track” signals transmitted from web browsers do not apply to our sites, and we do not alter any of our data collection and use practices upon receipt of such a signal.
USE OF INFORMATION
Without limiting the uses described in the Spectrum TV Application Terms and Conditions, we may use the information we collect for a number of purposes including, but not limited to:
- Provide the features and functions available in the App;
- Validate your subscription status with Charter;
- Manage Charter’s everyday business needs, such as administration and improvement of the App;
- Analyze the App’s performance and functioning;
- Fulfill requests or changes you make within the App;
- Facilitate your user experience and transactions including processing and fulfilling purchases/downloads, communicating about those orders and their status, and personalizing the customer experience where possible;
- Administer or support your account;
- Communicate with you, including to send you requested information;
- Display content based on your location, including precise geolocation, interests, or past usage;
- • Send you marketing and service messages based on your preferences or to offer information and promotional material about the products and services you see on the App;
- Provide you with advertisements based on your interests and viewership;
- Measure the popularity and viewership as it relates to programming purchase decisions;
- Improve our marketing efforts;
- Study how subscribers use this App, including conducting research and analysis;
- Respond to your questions and concerns;
- Resolve disputes and enforce our agreements with you;
- Prevent fraud, unauthorized access or misuse of our services; and
- Ensure our own compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
As long as there are no pending requests for it and we are not otherwise required to retain it, your information will not be retained beyond when it is needed for the purposes that it was collected. You may access or update your personal information by contacting Charter, as described below.
Charter does not knowingly collect personal information from anyone under the age of 13 through the App, and children under the age of 13 should always get permission from a parent or legal guardian before accessing the App and/or providing any information about themselves through the App. Children under the age of 13 should use the App under direct adult supervision.
DISCLOSING YOUR INFORMATION
We may sometimes disclose your non-personally identifiable, anonymous, or aggregated data to third parties.
We may also disclose your information to third-party service providers who perform business activities and functions on our behalf to support our interactions with you such as customer service, system maintenance or supporting the features of this App. These third-party service providers are authorized to use your personal information only as necessary to provide these services on our behalf.
We do not disclose individualized usage data associated with how you interact with the App, such as viewership and features used, with third parties other than our affiliates or third-party service providers when the disclosure is necessary to render, or conduct a legitimate business activity related to, the service we provide to you.
Charter may also disclose your information to its affiliates for direct marketing purposes and for the purposes set forth in our Charter service account privacy policies. If we enter into a merger or sale of all or a part of our company, we may transfer your information during that transaction.
Occasionally, we receive lawful requests requiring that we disclose your information to third parties, such as to law enforcement or in civil lawsuits. We fully cooperate with law enforcement in identifying anyone using this App for illegal activities. We reserve the right to report any activities we believe in good faith to be illegal or to disclose your information to enforce our rights.
We may also disclose your information to third parties, including law enforcement authorities, where we determine that doing so is appropriate to:
- Protect our property, services, and legal rights;
- Prevent physical harm to the persons or property of others;
- Prevent fraud against us and others;
- Support auditing compliance, and corporate governance functions; and
- Comply with all applicable laws.
Our location-based features are based on the location of your Charter service account and the location, including the precise geolocation, of a device in which you have both installed the App and have enabled location services. If you do not want the App to collect your device’s precise geolocation, you can disable location services on your device using the device settings. Location information will allow Charter to identify for you the closest WiFi hot spots to your location. We may also use location information for other service-related purposes such as deciding where to install new WiFi hotspots in order to serve you better. Please note that location data, including precise geolocation, will be collected when your location service is enabled for this App when the App is running in the foreground, background, or even if you are not directly using the application depending on your device.
Some of the App’s features are only available while you are on Charter’s network or when connecting from your home WiFi account. The App will use your IP address and other information to determine whether you are on or off Charter’s network or connecting via your service account.
COOKIES AND OTHER TECHNOLOGIES
Many Internet browsers and mobile devices allow you to block the transmission of information, such as your IP address or location information, or to block the installation of cookies. You may choose to enable these options. However, enabling these options may prevent you from using many of the core features and functions available on our App.
Advertisements (“ads”) may be displayed in this App. These ads may be seen by everyone using the App, may be based on the context of their placement or tailored based on your device information, the content you are viewing, and/or your viewing preferences. If you do not want ads displayed to you based on your personal information, you have the ability to opt-out of this type of targeted advertising by visiting the “Your Privacy Rights” section of the Charter website, accessible at www.charter.com, and selecting “Privacy Preferences.”
The security of your personal information is important. We take actions to prevent unauthorized access to your personal information. Charter uses administrative, technical, and physical controls to help secure information collected by this App. We also limit access to data sources containing your personal information to our authorized employees and contractors.
Unfortunately, no data sent over the Internet or any network is guaranteed to be 100% secure. While we strive to protect your personal information, you acknowledge there are security and privacy limits of the Internet which are beyond our control; the security, integrity, and privacy of any and all information and data exchanged between you and us through this App cannot be guaranteed; and any such information and data may be viewed or tampered with by a third party while in transit.
CALIFORNIA PRIVACY RIGHTS
Pursuant to California Civil Code Section 1798.83(c)(2), Charter does not share your personal information with third parties for those third parties’ direct marketing use.
If you have questions about your account or Charter’s services, please contact us by calling (833) 267-6096.
Charter Communications, inc.
Attn: Legal, Privacy
400 Atlantic Street, 10th Floor
Stamford, CT 06901